Foreign citizens who aim to stay or live in Spain due to studies or residence, labour (related) or not, for a period longer than 90 days, must request and (obtain/get) an authorisation for it. In respect to the procedure and process to obtain residency in Spain, all foreign citizens are subject to the GENERAL FOREIGN REGIME or the EU CITIZEN REGIME depending on their country of origin.
The EU Citizen Regime (Main Applicable Act: Real Decreto 240/2007 of 16th February) is created for the citizens of the Countries members of the European Union, Agreement on the European Economic Area (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) and from Switzerland, as their relatives. The General Foreign Regime (Main Applicable Acts: Ley Orgánica 4/2000 of 11th January and Real Decreto 557/2011 of 20th April) is created for the citizens of third Countries.
On the other hand, a new framework for the qualified migration of the Foreign Citizens from third Countries has been introduced by the Law 14/2013, of 27th September, in support of entrepreneurs and their internationalization, and its modification by Final Provision 11th the Law 25/2015, of 28th July. This Law has as main objective to enforce the international movements of the entrepreneurs, engage the Foreign Investments into Spain, establishing an agile and specific system to obtain the Visas and Authorisations for the Residency.
Law 14/2013, of 27th September, in support of entrepreneurs and their internationalization.
Residence for investors:
Foreign investors who make a significant capital investment will be able to request a resident (permit/authorisation) for investors, which will be valid in all national territory and will include a work permit.
Significant capital investments will be understood to be the ones which meet (some/any) of the following criteria:
- An initial investment with a value equal or superior to:
- 2 Million Euros in Spanish Public Debt Titles.
- 1 Million Euros for the acquisition of shares of Spanish Companies.
- 1 Million Euros in an Investment Fund, investment funds of closed nature or venture capital funds incorporated in Spain.
- 1 Million Euros for Bank Deposits in Spanish Financial Entities.
- Acquisition of a Real Estate asset in the amount of 500.000 Euros or more. The Investor could buy one or more properties as long as the total value is 500.000 Euros or more.
- Developing a business Project in Spain which is considered as being of general interest of the society, fulfilling one of the following requirements:
- Create Work Positions.
- Carry a positive Socio-Economic impact in the environment.
- Contribute to the Scientific and/or Technology Innovation.
The relatives of the Main Investor who could apply, together at the same time or successively, the authorisation for the relative of Main Investor, are the following:
- Registered Partner,
- Children under the age of 18,
- Adults over the age of 18 (under your supervision/economically dependants),
- Ascendants of first-degree relative, economically dependants on the Main Investor or his/her Spouse or Registered Partner.